• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate Students' intro thread

Objective: To learn C++ for admission to MFE programs, and for the requirement of quant jobs.

Programming experience: intro to C and C++, a little MATLAB.

Current work: Graduate student at Yeshiva Univ., major in Economics.

Intended pace of program: I would like to finish as quickly as possible, hopefully in this summer.

Hi guys,

I'm excited to enroll in the course. I am joining UChicago MSFM in Fall 2015.

Objective: I would like to refresh my programming skills, pass the programming placement exam and be more comfortable with courses at school.

Programming experience: C++, C#, VBA, SQL and various scripting languages

Current work: Trading support

Intended pace of program: I am planning to finish the course in 2 months if possible.

Hi everyone,

Objective: Learn C++ to enhance my programming skills

Programming experience: Java, C/C++, Python, Scala

Current work: I am currently working at a leading investment bank on their proprietary risk platform to support risk calculations for their trading desks.

Intended pace of program: I am planning to finish the course as soon as possible...

Hi All,

Objective: Learn C++ for MFE program
Programming Experience: Basic courses in C++, SQL, and R
Current Work: Undergraduate in Maths and Stats (Commence my final year in October)
Intended Pace: Hopefully without deferring the course, before I get back to uni :)

Hi Everyone I just realized I never did this,

Objective: Fill in the many gaps in my C++ knowledge in prep. for MFE programs
Programming Experience: Basic courses in C++, some Java
Current Work: Undergraduate in Math and Econ, going into 4th year
Intended Pace: Hope to be finished before the end of August

Hi, everyone! I'm very excited to take this course with you all!

Objective: Be an intermediate coder in C++, and plus, admission to MFE programs.
Programming experience: A little C / MATLAB / Python.
Current work: Bank.
Intended pace of program: Hope to be finished before the mid of July.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Just started the course a few days ago. Loving it so far

Objective:
To learn C++ to apply to my job, and possibly for admission to grad school, maybe MFE, maybe MS CompSci

Programming experience: Totally self taught, mostly python. I did undergrad in Econ and completed all 3 levels of the CFA program.

Current work: Currently am one of two people running a smallish (50M AUM) quant hedge fund (short term, but not HFT). Since we're a small fund I wear many hats. First and foremost is designing and implementing trading strategies, but I also built our entire automated trading infrastructure from the ground up as well as our backoffice reporting and management systems.

Intended pace of program: As fast as possible! Time is money in this game!

Hi Everyone,

Just started the course yesterday, loving everything that's in store. Exited also at the prospect of meeting a lot of like minded folk all in pursuit of the same goal.

Objective: Learn C++ to enhance my programming skills to apply for the MFE programs, also to apply it on certain projects I am working on.

Programming Experience: C++ (beginner), Python (beginner). Mostly self taught. Mechanical Engineering Graduate.

Current work: Recently started working as a fund researcher for an Dubai based Investment advisory, had previously worked as a supply chain analyst for a Pharmaceutical company.

Intended pace of program: Exactly what @Brom Rector (above) said!!

Hi Everyone,

Just enrolled in the course.

Objective: To learn C++ and strengthen my understanding of OOP.

Programming Experience: Matlab and C

Current work: Electrical Engineer specializing in telecommunications cables.

Intended pace of program: Within two months.

Back