• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pen+Paper = 19th century. Wacom tablets = FUTURE

None! Yet I will bet your EA800 vs mine that they will not remanufature ANY new EA800s. Maybe sell of a few old stock, but no new ones. Deal?
Not betting my EeeNote! Too precious! :P But I will keep an eye on the other forum and report here if the info is confirmed or refuted.

I find it really weird that tablet/e-reader makers have not managed to crack the school and office markets. I work in the headquarters of a European banking group, and in a meeting with 10 participants, one person will use a laptop, the rest will use paper notebooks to take notes (and someone always asks about my EeeNote). If that's not a lucrative market, I don't know what is!

I'm very skeptical. Lets see what happens.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the website is selling newly manufactured units - I just wanted to let people know that it still seems to be available if they want one.

lol. Notice in every picture the uses is very careful not to place palm on the screen ;) Also, this will never be close to as good as a Wacom...

lol. Notice in every picture the uses is very careful not to place palm on the screen ;) Also, this will never be close to as good as a Wacom...
I paid attention to that but there are 2 cases where the put the palm on the screen. Actually, palm rejection is not difficult to achieve since most of the note-taking apps for the iPad already have it. I can go even further, the pen on the screen plus the adapter don't have to be touch sensible at all. If the ad was done using professional drawers and/or architects, they tend not to put their palms on the paper so they don't smear ink or lead. So your point is actually wrong.

My main concern with this solution is the delay. The WACOM digitizer is instantaneous. There is a perceptible delay on this video.

Well folks, the Note is out! I ordered mine already ($500, Newegg). I will therefor be selling my EA800 which I reviewed here. I can sell it on eBay (they actuall are selling off a few unused one for $230) for around $185, but I would rather sell to QN friends so we can avoid shipping and PayPal fees. You can stop by Baruch in the city and we can swap cash for tablet. I'll sell it for $180. It is in "like new condition".

Well folks, the Note is out! I ordered mine already ($500, Newegg). I will therefor be selling my EA800 which I reviewed here. I can sell it on eBay (they actuall are selling off a few unused one for $230) for around $185, but I would rather sell to QN friends so we can avoid shipping and PayPal fees. You can stop by Baruch in the city and we can swap cash for tablet. I'll sell it for $180. It is in "like new condition".

In your opinion is the new Note the best tablet for note-taking? I'm still using pen and paper :( but I would like to upgrade. I'm in an MFE program, please let me know what you think the best tablet for note-taking would be.

Thanks!

I will upload a video review within the next few days, but the short answer is that it is amazing. If you read my old posts you will see that if you don't mind:

A)Being plugged in
B)Extra 2.5 lbs weight

Then the Motion LE1600 Ultraview is still the best option (and $300 cheaper). It is actually better for writing than the note. However, if you want a modern tablet, lightweight, full day battery-life, the note is pretty sweet. Not-to-mention its math integration tool is spot-on!

I look forward to your video MRoss. I'm curious about the math integration. You seem to hop from gadget to gadget as much me, so I think the ThinkPad Tablet 2 needs to be on your radar if it is not already. I'm currently using OneNote MX on the Samsung Series 7 Slate and I have a feeling that the first WinRT ARM tablet with a Wacom digitizer will destroy everything that has come before. The Thinkpad Tablet 2 will run on an Atom, but Lenovo is throwing out 10 hour battery life claims at this point. If the new Atoms have a better GPU, then it will probably be fast enough to perfect the formula Fujitsu laid out with the Q550. I hope Samsung just puts WinRT on the Note 10.1 hardware. That's the only way I see them making any money on the RD that went into the Note 10.1. It is getting hammered by the tech journalists and pretty much confirms that Android on anything bigger than 7" or more than $299 is DOA.

Sorry guys. I returned my Samsung Note 10.1

Pros:
  • Similar to other tablets; quad core processor runs fast
  • Screen has great angular view
  • Nice battery life
  • Excellent accuracy with Wacom pen
  • Math formula recognition is spot-on!
Cons:
  • Software is terrible. Its difficult even to go to next page
  • Resolution is disappointing which makes it very hard to take good notes
  • Notes are saved in a strange format
  • Once you enter a math formula in you cannot delete it
  • No cropping, resizing etc. in notes
Basically my two biggest grips were resolution and software. For simple jotted notes its fine. For forumal class notes I can't stand it. After all my searching and having used: Samsung Series 7 Slate, Asus EP121, Asus EA800 Note, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, I think I am going to revert back to my beloved Motion tablets. Battery life sucks but at far as note taking devices go nothing comes even close. :(

Thanks for the review MRoss. Your findings are basically what I figured the limitations of the device would be. Vin Sa, the CL910 offers no material advantage over the Fujitsu Q550/Q552 if you want to go that route. My recommendation is that you not waste your time with N-Trig tablets. They will only seem acceptable until you use a Wacom digitizer.

The next gen tablets are under two months away with the release of Windows 8. Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, Microsoft Surface Pro, Samsung ATIV Smart PC & Smart PC Pro should be the gold standards of the space (along with Asus). Motion had their run when this was a niche market, but Microsoft needs to use pen computing as a competitive advantage over iPad, so most PC OEMs are pushing Wacom support really hard this fall. Motion will still own the rugged tablet space, but the academic tablet market will be served by the traditional PC manufactures and Apple whenever they acknowledge a Bluetooth keyboard and/or capacitive stylus is worthless in a math heavy curriculum (or should I say decide to care).

I'm still disappointed with the lack of an announced WinRT ARM tablet with Wacom support. I suppose if the Clover Trail based Intel Atom Z2760 performs well, there is no real need for that product. 8-10 hours plus x86 support trumps 10-12 hours on ARM for me. It's a really exciting time to be a fan of digital inking.

Back