• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pen+Paper = 19th century. Wacom tablets = FUTURE

I am also thinking of getting a tablet for note taking purpose. I was sure of iPad but now am all confused

I ordered a Thinkpad Tablet couple days ago. It seems like the reasonable choice to me..
nice quality, has digitizer, it uses N-Trig duo sense tech. so palm rejection seems to work fine...
handwriting sensation seems pretty natural from youtube vids...

I ordered a Thinkpad Tablet couple days ago. It seems like the reasonable choice to me..
nice quality, has digitizer, it uses N-Trig duo sense tech. so palm rejection seems to work fine...
Thanks. I wish IPad had the same feature. Lately it is just hard to buy any gadget that is not apple product. Too many questions are asked from other people :(

There is not palm rejection because your palm don't do anything. The thinkpad uses Wacom technology on a resistance screen. You will need the Wacom pen to write on the screen.

Thanks. I wish IPad had the same feature. Lately it is just hard to buy any gadget that is not apple product. Too many questions are asked from other people :(

That's not really your problem. You buy something because you find it useful or you like it. If some other people don't like it, they don't have to buy it.

I am pretty sure it uses N-Trig tech.
They call it duo sense or sth
I was reading about the most recent versions and you are probably right. I didn't see Wacom on the thinkpad anymore but a new technology that allows pen and touch. I haven't seen this working so I can't comment.

Yes, the Thinkpad Tablet uses an N-Trig digitizer and accepts touch. Palm rejection varies by app. Quill is the best app I have tried for written note taking on Android, but all mobile OS note taking apps just feel dumb compared to OneNote. The Thinkpad Tablet should be getting an update to Android 4.0 soon, which should aid performance. As far as N-Trig tablets go, I rank the Q550 higher than the Thinkpad Tablet but for $300 more, it should be better. I think you'll enjoy it though FEnzo. It's a good product.

Of the various models of digitizer-pen tablets I have owned (20+ different models) I have calibration/screenrotation/accuracy issues with the N-Trig models every single time no matter which company tablet it was. Nearly every Wacom tablet I have used was a great experience. I'm a bit lazy to do research but I wouldn't be surprised if you search around a bit online and find similar reviews.

So my advice? Don't get the Thinkpad.

Of the various models of digitizer-pen tablets I have owned (20+ different models) I have calibration/screenrotation/accuracy issues with the N-Trig models every single time no matter which company tablet it was. Nearly every Wacom tablet I have used was a great experience. I'm a bit lazy to do research but I wouldn't be surprised if you search around a bit online and find similar reviews.

So my advice? Don't get the Thinkpad.
Then what to get?

Interesting points. I did do quite a bit of research online and found, in general, quite positive reviews about Thinkpad Tablet's note taking functions. Granted, you do have to purchase 3rd party apps like Quill mentioned before. But it does do its job.
RuzaRoos, why do you think Q550 is better?
MRoss, well, given the function the price range that I expect, I don't believe I can find any Android tablet with Wacom tech....

Hi,

I bought a Wacom tablet and just started playing with it.

It is not a tablet PC but rather the 'black slate' referred to earlier (I primarily use a desktop).

I've been using it mainly with the Autodesk software (the full version is actually available freely to students).

It's pretty neat, but one thing I haven't figured out is how to write on the screen in a small scale. I write something (say an equation) on the Wacom and it goes on the screen but it is very large. I can zoom out after writing or export the image and get it into the proportion I want, but if I zoom out prior to writing something, my writing still appears on the screen in the same large size.

There is probably some easy way to get around this and I haven't had time to experiment too much, but if any of you all know the answer, it would be much appreciated :) .

Also, does anyone know of any Wacom compatible software that can do handwriting recognition for math symbols? I tried Mobo Math, but the product was very slow to recognize a line and often inaccurate (maybe practice with the editor would alleviate this?).

I own one of those tablets but only used it once so I cannot help you there. I do know that Windows 7 has a built in program called "Math Input Panel". The concept is awesome but it requires a bit of a learning curve and it never interprets my integrals correctly. It's pretty darn cool though. Hopefully they will improve upon it in Windows 8.

P.S. Just click on START and start typing "Math Input...". It will be the first match.

FEnzo, my preference for the Q550 over the Thinkpad Tablet is primarily a function of my preference for Windows 7/8 over Android. The Q550 is about the same size and weight as the Lenovo and comes pretty close on battery life. The Q550 actually has a user replaceable battery, so one can just pick up a spare if 6-7 hours isn't enough. I find having access to desktop software in such a package more rewarding than the mobile offerings on the Lenovo. The Q550 is a slow PC though and being able to install heavy apps like Photoshop but not use them fluidly frustrates those who don't accept the Q550's limits. If you live in OneNote, the Q550 is an excellent academic/research companion.

I just discovered the Livescribe Pen.

http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/

It does everything I want - makes math I write go onto my computer in pdf form with absolutely no effort.

I'm kindof sorry I bought the Wacom actually before I knew about Livescribe. Hopefully, I'll find something neat to do with it though. It does have some interesting hobby applications with photoshop.

I just discovered the Livescribe Pen.

http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/

It does everything I want - makes math I write go onto my computer in pdf form with absolutely no effort.

I'm kindof sorry I bought the Wacom actually before I knew about Livescribe. Hopefully, I'll find something neat to do with it though. It does have some interesting hobby applications with photoshop.
Livescribe has some drawbacks. You need special paper. You can only buy refill ink cartridges from them and their ink really sucks.

You can try using some other ink refills but you will need to modify them a bit. I have only found one that is good for modification, some obscure Mt. Blank refill. You still have to tinker with it (cut it to size). The Mt. Blanc ink is much better and smoother but I always have a problem of an air bubble in the refill which becomes annoying after a while.

That is true. I already exhausted one of their ink cartridges and a bunch of the paper. I've heard you can print the special paper if you have a good enough printer, but I haven't tried myself.

That is true. I already exhausted one of their ink cartridges and a bunch of the paper. I've heard you can print the special paper if you have a good enough printer, but I haven't tried myself.

I tried printing the paper. It works but it's not the same, just keep that in mind

Back