• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pen+Paper = 19th century. Wacom tablets = FUTURE

Thanks for the tip. The pen also has a recording feature (this appear to be the main feature for other people). Have you found that useful at all?

Thanks for the tip. The pen also has a recording feature (this appear to be the main feature for other people). Have you found that useful at all?
The recording function is very useful. It syncs with what you are writing at the moment in time.

Sometimes, I forget to turn the pen on. That is also really annoying but I understand why the pen needs to turn itself off automatically. I think it will be really nice for the pen to turn itself on automatically too if you start writing but there is a little delay in the start up process. That might be the reason why this is not done.

Here's a little update:
Asus Eee Note EA800 apparently is designed for note taking and drawing. It does use Wacom tech.
However, it's incredibly hard to come by and it's not a color screen and does little other than writing....
Guess what? Even since this post (one month ago) I became so enamored with the Asus Note that I began looking all over for one... but to no avail. So I check eBay 3X a day for the past month hoping... and I got one!! :D

Arriving today. The guy before me flashed it to English. Can't wait to check it out!

Ok. I will take pics and upload when I can. I was watching the web like a hawk for a month and managed to snatch this guy for $200, a real steal seeing as they simply don't exist.

I see why Asus did not manufacture it in US. It would have been a big flop. Reason? Unless the lighting is very good it becomes very difficult to read. I personally don't care because I use my tablet in 3 places: Train, School, my deck; all well-lit.

Inking experience: I'm very impressed. The inking is very accurate and the tablet is comfortable to write on. The screen is a tad small so it is not as pleasurable as writing on the Motion tablets but for 3 day battery life and a 1lb machine I am certainly not going to complain!

The leather case is lighter then most tablet cases and doesn't add much weight. The tablet comes with 2 styluses, a nice bonus.

Readability? Certainly not an e-ink reader but much better then an LCD backlit tablet/laptop. )Noticeably less eye strain but not a pleasure to read with).

Vertict? I'm going to buy a second one as backup ;)

Ok. I will take pics and upload when I can. I was watching the web like a hawk for a month and managed to snatch this guy for $200, a real steal seeing as they simply don't exist.

I see why Asus did not manufacture it in US. It would have been a big flop. Reason? Unless the lighting is very good it becomes very difficult to read. I personally don't care because I use my tablet in 3 places: Train, School, my deck; all well-lit.

Inking experience: I'm very impressed. The inking is very accurate and the tablet is comfortable to write on. The screen is a tad small so it is not as pleasurable as writing on the Motion tablets but for 3 day battery life and a 1lb machine I am certainly not going to complain!

The leather case is lighter then most tablet cases and doesn't add much weight. The tablet comes with 2 styluses, a nice bonus.

Readability? Certainly not an e-ink reader but much better then an LCD backlit tablet/laptop. )Noticeably less eye strain but not a pleasure to read with).

Do you think is it suitable for math notes? Is it possible to create PDF versions of our notes?
Sorry if any of these questions seems obvious, but I'm new to this kind of technology.

They are produced as .GIF but you can print to CutePDF if you really want a PDF file. I will do my best to upload some note I have taken on it within a few days.

Glad you like it MRoss.
I am waiting for the upcoming Samsung Note 10.1. They upgraded the CPU to a quad core beast and added a stylus slot on the device. It is the perfect match for me!

I have been using an Asus EeeNote EA-800 for nearly a year now, for note-taking at the office. Very solid device, great build quality, stable software. Handwriting experience is excellent, reading is only o.k., as the LCD screen has less contrast than e-ink. I get a week of battery life. I also like the built-in Evernote client (you can export your notes wirelessly). The voice recording function is useful for meetings, and you can use the built-in camera to capture flipchart drawings.
I bought it on eBay, new, for USD 250. It disappeared from eBay soon afterwards, but I read today that Asus is selling the EeeNote again inTaiwan, with a larger internal memory. So it may pop up on eBay again sometime.

A colleague of mine is using an iPad with a capacitive pen and handwriting software. The end result is fine, but I find the software cumbersome and slow. You must write in a box at the bottom of the screen, to avoid touching the capacitive screen with your hand. The writing appears on another part of the screen, which you must specify in advance. Also, you must write BIG letters, which slows you down. I can only recommend this solution if you already have an iPad, or if you need the other functionalities it offers.

Another alternative which nobody mentioned so far: e-ink readers with Wacom pen input, such as some of the models made by Onyx, PocketBook, Hanvon, or Icarus. If you don’t need the other functionality of capacitive color tablets, then these offer a good handwriting experience, great contrast, light weight, and excellent battery life.
A word of warning though: my experience is that the handwriting (usually called “scribbling”) software in e-ink devices is not very advanced. I own an Onyx Boox X60, and while the screen’s pen response is great, there is no way to rename, export, or search the handwritten note files. This makes this device less than useful for office use. I am sure the different models have different strengths, and new firmware is coming out all the time – so do your research before you buy.

Does anyone have any handwriting experience with e-ink devices?

Glad you like it MRoss.
I am waiting for the upcoming Samsung Note 10.1. They upgraded the CPU to a quad core beast and added a stylus slot on the device. It is the perfect match for me!
I posted a link to that article. Can't say for certain but I would guess you are looking at a 6-9month wait :(. Also, It will pretty much stink for reading...

Does anyone have any handwriting experience with e-ink devices?

I have many tech-friends. Combined we have tried just about every gizmo that ever came out. While I have not used the Boox m92 (supposedly the best Wacom e-ink reader out there) my friends have and they tell me that the EA800 is significantly better as a note taker.

Morale of the story: As dream-crushing as it is there will never be an e-ink device that will double as a decent note-taker. It just cannot happen - there are too many conflicting pieces of technology. There is only one possibility I can think of and that is the upcoming Samsung electrowetting displays. They would be pretty neat as Wacom devices though from what I hear that is not in the plans as of yet...

And just in case any of you are as geeky as myself prepare to fall in love: http://www.liquavista.com/technology/whatIsElectrowetting.aspx

there will never be an e-ink device that will double as a decent note-taker
I don't agree - based on my experience with handwriting on the Onyx Boox X60, I think the M92 would be just fine, provided Onyx added the missing functionality I mentioned above (this shouldn't be hard at all).
What was it that you / your friends didn't like about it?

And just in case any of you are as geeky as myself prepare to fall in love: http://www.liquavista.com/technology/whatIsElectrowetting.aspx
That sounds really great - I hadn't heard about it. Just last week somebody told me, "Tablets and e-readers will not converge!" Now I think it may happen even sooner than I had expected.

What was it that you / your friends didn't like about it?

I believe that is was the lag. Since e-ink displays actually realign physical ink when you write it takes a few hundred milliseconds for the ink to reach your point of contact. Also, LCDs have the advantage of "honing in" on the Wacom pen before you actually touch the display. That doesn't make sense with e-ink.

But yeah as soon as Samsung integrates Liquidvista into tablets ereaders will become extinct! As I said: e-ink will never be prime with tablets, but e-readers certainly will - if electrowetting ever becomes a reality.

but I read today that Asus is selling the EeeNote again inTaiwan, with a larger internal memory. So it may pop up on eBay again sometime.

Where is this information? I cannot find it.

...and here you go guys. Special QuantNet edition.Not a very in-depth or clear review but I am leaving in a hour for the weekend so I had to rush it. Hope you enjoy. Let the games begin! ;)

How often you often survey the tech shops in Taipei? ;)

None! Yet I will bet your EA800 vs mine that they will not remanufature ANY new EA800s. Maybe sell of a few old stock, but no new ones. Deal? Still hold by what I said. They are not making new ones. Maybe selling off old stock.

Why, is it better than the SP-50 supplied by ASUS?

Watch my video!

Back