• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

B.S Quantitative Finance

Dtm

How is a B.S in quantitative viewed when applying for jobs and internships?

I want to end up as a quant. Would that be a good starting point?

Okay, thank you. I will read all these come back with questions.

I'm going through all the pdfs and I am seeing that a lot of this is coming from Europe, if I am reading it correctly. Is there a job market for quants in the United States. Also it says the a PhD is almost always required, are there jobs available for people who can't afford to go to grad school right away but still want to get into this field?

Very helpful. Is a b.s quant finance consider a quantitative degree, I know its still a new program? Or would I have more options with a math or computer engineering degree?

You would have more options with a math or computer engineering degree because you could work outside the financial industry and many people with those degrees do not work in the financial industry.

If you get a quant BS, it is a gamble, because it is new thing. It could be that four years from now, there will be a lot of a lot of jobs for people with BS in Quant Finance. On the other hand, if there's not, it's harder for you to get a job in another industry because you have studied something that is not well understood outside of the investment industry.

I hope to work in the financial world because I am fascinated with it. Is a BS in Quant Finance a degree grad schools will respect? Also is this a growing field? I've heard that the financial world is starting to move away from speculation and moving more toward quantitative analysis. Is this true?

I think it's accurate that people in Finance are more conservative now. Quant refers to a sell-side derivatives role whose job prospects are likely to be positively correlated with an environment of increased exuberance. A more conservative environment may mean less Quant jobs, but it is hard to know anything for sure.

If you're just referring to a 'quant-like' role, like risk, there may be more opportunities in the future however there is also a large amount of candidates for these areas (partially due to people who cannot get 'Quant' in this environment looking for the next closest thing).

Is a BS in quant finance a good start knowing I will ultimately get a MFE or Ph.D?

Is a BS in quant finance a good start knowing I will ultimately get a MFE or Ph.D?

For a MFE or Ph.D. you will ultimately need to have a good grounding in math/comp sci. Most MFE programs will require calc1-3, linear algebra, and differential equations to start. In addition, some c++ programming (2 courses). Those are just the basic guidelines. In the job market, you will want to know some other languages such as python, sql, and vba. It is more competitive today than it was in 2006. On the other hand, Ph.D. programs in Finance are ultra competitive requiring high GMAT scores. To give you a better idea of whether or not to major in quantitative finance, study for and take the gre or gmat. If you're scoring in the 95th percentile or better in the quantitative portion, you'll likely have a good chance at a MFE or Ph.D. program. Manhattan GRE/GMAT provides some good books for studying. It should take you two to four months to complete the series. Good luck!

As far as my recommendation goes, if you're worried that you might not do a MFE/Ph.D. then major in computer science. But if you're deadset on becoming a quant, major in quantitative finance as the exposure will likely serve you well in graduate studies.

For a MFE or Ph.D. you will ultimately need to have a good grounding in math/comp sci. Most MFE programs will require calc1-3, linear algebra, and differential equations to start. In addition, some c++ programming (2 courses). Those are just the basic guidelines. In the job market, you will want to know some other languages such as python, sql, and vba. It is more competitive today than it was in 2006. On the other hand, Ph.D. programs in Finance are ultra competitive requiring high GMAT scores. To give you a better idea of whether or not to major in quantitative finance, study for and take the gre or gmat. If you're scoring in the 95th percentile or better in the quantitative portion, you'll likely have a good chance at a MFE or Ph.D. program. Manhattan GRE/GMAT provides some good books for studying. It should take you two to four months to complete the series. Good luck!

As far as my recommendation goes, if you're worried that you might not do a MFE/Ph.D. then major in computer science. But if you're deadset on becoming a quant, major in quantitative finance as the exposure will likely serve you well in graduate studies.

I have already taken all of those math courses, along with 3 courses in c++. I have practiced the gmat and have scored in 95 percentile in the quantitative sections. I guess my main question is will a BS in quant finance allow me to get a jo while I work toward a MFE or Ph.D? Just going to school is something I can't afford.

I guess my main question is will a BS in quant finance allow me to get a jo while I work toward a MFE or Ph.D? Just going to school is something I can't afford.
Ask the people who run that BS program to see what kind of internship/jobs their graduates have. Working a few years after your undergrad to get experience is a good idea. Graduate schools are always there if you decide to do MFE later.

Back